Thursday, February 7, 2008

It's my potty and I'll cry if I want to......

It is done.....it is official.
Kaelan is now potty trained. It has been a long, tedious, trying, painful, mercilesss task, but I think the hard part is over. We have been in big girl panties for two weeks now, and have had only two "oops". I never knew teaching a little person how to go in a little, tiny hole on a little tiny seat at just the right time could be so hard. I mean, have you ever thought about how you would describe the act of pushing out pee-pee to a two year old? Go ahead, describe it....now explain to them how to know it is time.....not so easy, eh? Even though Kaelan actuall started going on the potty at 17 months (no, really...I am not one of those lying moms)...she just did it at random times. She loved the reward part, and sometimes she be would sit for upwards of 30 minutes just trying so hard to push a drop of pee out so she could savor that M&M. However, she suddenly started lacking those visible signs and clues that she needed to go, and so I missed those oppotunities to ask and "catch" a great potty moment. Let's face it, after a while, waiting an hour for a drop of tinkle gets to cumbersome....so I started slacking. My mom and all those potty training whisperer friends of mine told me to stick her in some big girl panties and she would be trained in days...she was ready. So, I tried it. It worked great for about 2 days, and then we took our first outing in our new Tinkerbell panties. No sooner had I backed out of the garage did I hear a resounding "Uh, oh" from the back seat.....I did not even ask, I just pulled right back into the garage and unloaded my wet child.
I will admit I have been stressed and overwhelmed by this whole process, and I really did feel I failed Kaelan at times for not being better at it, but she is a trooper, and I think I haven't screwed her up for life.
I DO, however, want to vent a little about this whole potty training process......
First of all, it absolutely makes my blood boil when people ask if Kaelan is potty trained, and when I proudly say, "yes"....there is an immediate comment of, "Oh well, girls are so much easier than boys....they basically train themselves." WHAT?
Secondly, I love my husband dearly and he is the BEST dad in the world, but if he makes one more comment about how "WE are potty training Kaelan", I am going to smack him. I don't know if it is because we have a girl, or just the fact that I am with her during most of Kaelan's peak potty hours, but last time I checked, I potty trained Kaelan. There.....I feel better! Happy Flushing!
See the "Potty Queen" here.

No comments: