Thursday, May 29, 2008

"Bambi", "Old Yeller", and now this.....

When I uploaded the picture for this post a few days ago, it was to share with you a special little occurrence here at our household. Now, the story has turned into a sad, Disney movie like tale, with a tragedy taking place.....

There are not many trees in our backyard because we are in a newer development, so when I made an unusual discovery a few weeks back, I giggled at the ingenuity of this little bird. You see, a sweet little sparrow decided to make do with what was around, and she built her nest in one of our lighted palm trees on our deck....


The cutest little nest....she actually used some shredded baby wipes that she stole from a box I had out on the patio. I used a step ladder to climb up and take a tour of the nest interior....really nice....and inside, I was tickled to see five little eggs! they were so cute and speckled....just like the little robin eggs I eat at Easter....bad analogy, but really they looked just like them!

We were thrilled with our new residents. I looked up info on the Internet about nests and baby birds. I was careful to follow the rules about not touching the nest or area around it. Kaelan and I cautiously climbed the ladder and gave a peek each day to check for changes, as the mama sparrow kept a watchful and proud eye on us from an above rafter. Even our neighbors came and payed homage to this blessed wonder of nature.


Soon, we had four of the cutest baby birds.....they would stick their little necks up each time we made a clicking sound near the nest....just precious!

On Saturday night, we were set to host neighborhood "LUAU" and we were prepared to take necessary precautions to protect our little nest from visiting guests (specifically kiddos). We had decided to leave the tree unlit, and to put up a little barrier before the event.....mama sparrow would stay close by and wait out the crowd before returning to her babies. Best layed plans.....

Early Saturday morning, I stepped out the back door to move some chairs in preperation for the party. Immediately after walking out the door, I heard a screeching cry and heard the mad flutter of wings. The mama bird was flying around like crazy making loud noises. I figured I must have startled her, so I just muttered a "sorry" and went about my business. After a couple of minutes with more swooping a squawks, I turned to see what was up with this bird, and that is when I saw it........the nest, or what was left of it, was strown across the edge of the deck. There is no picture here.....too graphic.

I felt like I was living some animated feature..I totally hate "Bambi".....I never got over that part when mama dies. "Old Yeller", "Where the Red Fern Grows", "Finding Nemo", "The Lion King"???? Come on, can't I just watch a kid movie with out someone or something dying?

This whole bird/nest incident hit me hard....I bawled like a baby all morning. I found myself giving my sweet kitty the stink eye simply for being among a bird murdering species. Don't worry, she didn't do it. The evidence (and fur near the crime scene) pointed to a possum that has been coming in our yard...further substantiated by his visit late Saturday night after the luau. I watched through the window as he climbed up on the deck...up to the ledge.....right near where my precious nest USED to be. I ran outside yelling like a crazy lady.....I wanted to avenge my precious birdies. I doubt he will come back.

As for mama bird? She stayed around the neighborhood most of the weekend, occasionally swooping in to land where her babies used to be anxiously awaiting her. So, so sad.....I can only hope there is a happy ending for her out there somewhere.......


Genesis 1:20
And God said, Let the waters swarm with swarms of living creatures, and let birds fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven.
1:21
And God created the great sea-monsters, and every living creature that moveth, wherewith the waters swarmed, after their kind, and every winged bird after its kind: and God saw that it was good