Sunday, September 21, 2008

First Day of Preschool

I think you know the drill by now....things happen in our lives, and it takes me weeks to get it posted on the blog. So, keeping with the flow, here are some pictures from Kaelan's first day of preschool. She is currently the youngest kiddo in the program, but the decision was made to move her into the preschool program early because she was blowing them away in the 2 year old program....in other words she is gifted and will start college next fall. (No, I am not partial to my girl.)



The night before her first day, we read one of my favorite books, The Kissing Hand.




If you haven't ever read the story, basically it is about a little raccoon who is very worried about leaving mom and going to his first day of school. His mother calms his nerves by kissing the inside of his hand and telling him to hold it close to his face whenever he misses home.....the little kiss is like a heart full of love he can carry around anywhere and know his mom is with him and loves him.....so sweet.
I used to read this in my classroom on the first day of school for all those kids who were a little sad and scared on the first day. Then, I would read it again on the last day to send them off with my love and support. In keeping with the theme of the story, I made her little cheese and ham hearts in her lunch with a note of my traced hand reminding her I loved and missed her. I think the cookie I packed meant more to her, but it was the thought that counts, right?


Here she is, all ready to go........


A little backpack on her shoulders......



She is loving school thus far, and the few hours a week away from mom is good for her....and mom. Don't get me wrong, I love her to bits, but it feels like heaven when I hit the HEB without a toddler! I am so proud of my little preschooler!