I needed to make a trip to HEB for groceries, go see a friend in the hospital...hopefully get to snuggle and smell her new little bundle, return some overdue books to the library, and make a stop at Barnes and Noble for the latest book club selection....all before it was time to return to Kaelan's preschool for pick-up.
But I didn't do any of those things......
Instead, I dropped my little darling off with a kiss and pat on the hiney....I jumped back in my Black Beauty "Bessie" (minivan), eagerly drove straight back to my home....and for the last time, I sprawled out in the grass and soaked up the warm sun with my dear friend, Poncho......
The sun was delicious......and the company quite wonderful.....
Then later that evening, after Doug had his time alone with his faithful companion of the last
16 1/2 years, we carried our frail, tumor-ridden friend into the vet's office and sent him to place with no more pain.
We have been hit hard here in McBrayer World....we have suffered a devastating loss, but we know that it was the right time. We prayed to know and we think God gave us our wish.
As we move about our home this evening, there is a sense of something missing, something not quite right.....we will miss our buddy. None of us feel the loss more than Bandit. He is simply lost without his best bud. For the last 10 years, the two have been inseparable partners in crime. There were times when Bandit took the blame for some household felony, only to later find out it was really Poncho.....he never seemed to hold it against him, though.
Today I couldn't resist those big brown eyes of Poncho's doing what he always did best....begging for food. Normally, I would stand my guns and remind him he could not have a "treat" from the fridge because he needed to watch his weight and health. However, this time (knowing this would be his last real treat).....I caved. I opened the fridge with him right on my heels and pulled out a package of Cheesy Franks. I began pulling apart a hot dog offering him only a small portion , when suddenly I had an epiphany. I smiled as I reached down, patted his head...and happily handed him the whole hot dog....he enjoyed every last morsel.....and that is how he lived his life.