Tuesday, November 15, 2011

An Angry Bird “Appy” Birthday

 

I blinked my eyes, and 6 years flew by.   Poof.   Just like that.

Somewhere in those six years (primarily the last 6 months), the world of technology chased down my little girl, and she became obsessed with the phenom known as Angry Birds.   From the first time she played the game on mom’s iPhone, she made it a known fact that her next party would indeed have an Angry Bird theme.

Great, I remember telling her.  Sounds awesome.  I was certain this fad would die off and she would soon be cruising the isles of the party store with me purchasing My Little Pony party gear…..or some other theme.   But alas, this gal’s heart was set on Angry Birds and it NEVER wavered.

Let me be clear on this.  At the time I begin planning and searching, there was very little out there to help me with my Angry Bird party planning.  Sure, now I am certain you can find all the AB merchandise you could ever want for a party….but then?  Not so much.

We did it, though.   With the help of the world wide web, some creative friends and our gal, Kiwi the Clown.   We did it, and at the end of the day our little Red Bird told us she had the best birthday ever. Whew.

DSC_0900DSC_0902DSC_0905DSC_0908

Kiwi works her magic and creates an Angry Bird scenes  on Kaelan and Darian’s faces.

DSC_0932  DSC_0922DSC_0984   Check out this creative décor.   No, I did not misspell “Happy” as I was told 294 times that day.   I was being creative.   Get it?  APPy?  As in App?

DSC_0934DSC_0964DSC_0917

We had some great games.  Daddy built a big sling shot that shot bean bags at pigs stacked up on blocks.   The initial test shots for this sling did not go so well.   The whiffle ball that we used in the early tests actually shot off over a hundred yards and shattered against the roof of a nearby home.  I think we (meaning dad) misjudged the power of the sling shot.  Plan B was to use small water balloons.  I shot that plan down as soon as I saw what was left of the first green pig target that dad shot it at.   I kept reminding dad that the idea was to let the kids shoot down the plastic pigs…..not take out armored military vehicles.   Plan C  had us use some soft bean bags, and the plan was both safe (somewhat) and successful.  Inside, daddy had the iPad set up to work through the t.v. and the kids could play.   There were also cardboard blocks and plush Angry Bird dolls.  There was also a table with the Angry Birds puzzles and board games.  And what is an Angry Bird party without a big, ugly, green pig piñata to smash? 

 

The “Little Man” spent a good portion of the party picking ladies.  He is a HUGE flirt.  I am pretty sure he got a few phone numbers that day.

DSC_0971DSC_0938

I am not, and have never claimed to be a cake decorator.   I know Kaelan really wanted an actual Angry Bird cake, so I decided to try my hand at the fondant and see if I could come up with something that at least looked like Angry Birds.  I just bought a sheet cake and cupcakes from Sam’s, and then went to work.  Kaelan was satisfied with the results, but I warned her that I would not be able to make her cakes for her each year unless she did a ball theme.  Fondant balls, I can handle those.

DSC_0955DSC_0953

I mentioned in an earlier post that Kaelan opted to have donations to her well fund instead of presents.   I am happy to report that she met and exceeded her goal.   The Angry Bird Fairy did leave several goodies for her, however, in appreciation for her caring heart.

DSC_0979  Kaelan and Dad’s Angry Bird impression….little scary, no?

 

DSC_0981

Thanks for 6 wonderfully magical years, my little bird.   Next year, My Little Pony, okay?

No comments: