Monday, September 2, 2013

Oklahoma-It’s not all waving wheat and wind

We are coming up on nearly a year in Oklahoma, which seems so strange.  I literally feel like the moving truck just left our driveway (so do those boxes still in my garage! Yak, yak!).   In one year, we have survived being struck by lightning (both our house and our bodies), earthquakes, a few whirly twirlies (look how I talk like the natives now), a few or ten trips to the ER with our little man, a nasty car accident and broken shoulder, AND countless other adventures.  Now I am excused for absentee blogging, right?   It has been quite an exciting whirlwind (no tornado pun intended) of a year.  

Something that always strikes me as funny, is how surprised people who come to visit us are by how pretty and green Oklahoma looks.    Granted, there are some ugly and flat parts to this state, but our little pocket in Edmond is actually very lovely.   We live out in the rolling hills which is very similar to hill country in Texas……except less mesquite trees and much greener, and less scorpions!   We do actually get a small taste of all seasons, which I LOVE!   I am really digging going out and exploring some of the cool places around us.   Most times, I am also shocked at all Oklahoma has to offer.   Take this, for instance:

DSC_0834DSC_0831

DSC_0837DSC_0839DSC_0838

DSC_0844

This little pocket of wonderful is called Arbuckle Mountains.   We stumbled upon this area while traveling home from Dallas.   We decided to veer off the interstate and explore a pretty area for future outdoor expeditions. Our initial plan was to stay in  car and just scout some places, but once we saw some of the falls, we had to get out and look around.    We can’t wait to go back and actually go hiking up in that area.   It doesn’t hurt that the absolute best (and worst for the arteries) fried pies are just down the road from this place.   My plan is to just fill a a camelbak  with pies and water and head off into those woods like Survivor Man. 

Here was another VERY happy find for me here in Oklahoma:

Bluebonnets!!!!

DSC_0847

DSC_0850

DSC_0849DSC_0856DSC_0858

DSC_0860DSC_0852

My heart just fluttered at the sight of these.    We were actually planning a trip to Austin just so I could get my yearly bluebonnet pictures of the kids, but once I spotted this  patch, I was set!   And stoked!

There are more pictures and stories of our Oklahoma adventures to come.  Promise! We have experienced so much in this first year, but we have only touched the tip of iceberg on all there is to offer.  

Happy One Year of McBrayer  Residing  Awesomeness, Oklahoma!

No comments: