We were out as a family in two cars, and after stopping to drop off dad back at his truck, we all headed home, Kaelan and I in one car, and dad in the lane next to us in his vehicle. Dad did a little engine revving, challenging mom to a bit of drag racing home. Mom revved the ol' mini van a few times, but when the light changed, it was obvious who's chariot was led by the larger horse. Kaelan was very disappointed to be left in a cloud of daddy's dust.
K: Mom, why did you let dad win?
Mom: I didn't, honey. He has a bigger and faster engine than mine, so he can go faster.
K: It is because he has more horsepower than you, isn't it?
Now, let me explain this part a bit. You see, a favorite daddy/daughter bonding pastime in our home is watching those early Saturday morning hot rod, testosterone inducing, who can build the fastest thing on the road shows. Initially, I was not crazy about my daughter watching this stuff....wasn't there an episode of Strawberry Shortcake on?
However, I have decided that Kaelan learning a little about cars may not be a bad thing.
Flashback to my first boyfriend:
On one of those first REAL dates where the parents actually let the teenagers take the car out alone, my then boyfriend and I found ourselves stranded on the side of the road with a flat tire. He didn't have a clue what to do, and since I'm old and date back to the time before cell phones, in desperation and with what I thought were tears in his eyes, he started off walking on a rescue mission to the nearest pay phone to call his dad. He had asked me to stay in the car....not because he was noble and gallant and did not want me to be cold and tired. Instead, he asked me to stay there and protect his new stereo system. Nice.
So there I sat, when suddenly my fresh from driver's ed knowledge and know how kicked in and I decided I was going to change that tire! And I DID! What a priceless look on boyfriend's face when I pulled up to pick him up. We broke up not long after that. There was just something about a dude with clear gloss nail polish on his well manicured nails that didn't do it for me. Can I get an Amen, ladies? Nowadays, I can't even tell you where the jack is located in my car and I pretty much depend on the "damsel in distress" signal to save me, but oh the days when I could change a tire.......I could have conquered the world!
Learning a bit about how to change the oil and tires may not be such a bad thing, and there may be other benefits to letting her watch that stuff as proven by the rest of our conversation.
K: Well, mom.....if you want me to, I can work on your horsepower. I have been watching those shows with dad, and I know how to make a fast engine.
Mom: I just might take you up on that, Kaelan, and then maybe I'll teach you how to change a tire.

No comments:
Post a Comment