My kiddos don’t watch a lot of television. Not because I am one of those moms who is super worried about the long term damage tv will do to their developing brains. Mostly, it is due to the fact that we are always busy doing something else. There have been “those” kind of days where someone feels sick, or mom is super busy and needs an electronic babysitter, or we are on our 4th FRIGGIN SNOW DAY IN A ROW that we watch more TV than usual. The channel we love most is PBS. Seth loves Daniel Tiger’s Neighborhood and Kaelan’s favorite is Wild Kratts.
The truth is, Wild Kratts has now become Seth’s favorite, because it is Kaelan’s favorite. I DVR the show, and they watch it together while they have an after school snack. Seth just loves sharing a beanbag and snack with Kaelan.
He could care less what is on.
So, this year when the big question of birthday theme came up, it was no surprise that Wild Kratts was topping the list. Once again, my girl chose a theme that was cool, but not yet cool enough to have much out there in the way of party supplies. Remember when she had an Angry Bird Party? There was not a stitch of Angry Bird party stuff out there. Now? You can buy Angry Bird toilet paper and sunscreen. Next year, I am sure the shelves will be loaded with Wild Kratts gear, however, for this gig, I was left to scramble.
With it being a Wild Kratts theme, I knew animals were a must. Our friends from Extreme Animals came out and brought along some cute and not so cute (and slimy) friends for us to enjoy.
Funny story. I did not know that the Extreme Animals folks had arrived, and while I was busy doing some last minute things about a half hour before the party, they went ahead and pulled up to the backyard and began unloading.
When I went out back to start covering the tables, I ran right smack into a LARGE tortoise wondering around on my lawn. There was no one else around, and after freaking out a bit, I ran back inside and started yelling for help. We have a great many critters out where we live, and I seriously did not connect that animal to the party. I just figured that guy had wondered up from the ponds……which was logical in my mind at that moment, so don’t judge.
Luckily, just before I got animal control on the phone, I saw some uniformed people from Extreme Animals carrying more exotic critters into the yard in crates.
Okay, NOW I knew they weren’t coming from the pond.
It took about ten minutes for me to fall in love with that tortoise. I am begging Doug for one every day. Think of the money we could save on lawn care and he could cool off down in the ponds I originally thought he came from.
Oh, and you can RIDE on him!!! I know, why did I buy those ride on toys??
LOVE HIM!!
There were blue tongued skinks and caimans and lemurs! Oh, my!
We had sweet little kinkajous and kangaroos, and a bat-eared fox I almost hid in my bra so we could keep her. Look at that wittle sweetie all curled up an sweeping.
I came up with some cheesy games a methods of winning “power discs” (which I had to design and print and they will probably sell in the stores next year. Argh!).
Nest Wrap for the Wasp Disc (Toilet Paper on rollers)
Dam Building for the Beaver Disc (pretzel sticks and chocolate icing)
Fishing for Whale Disc (making this game was a pain in my power disc, but my boy played with it for weeks after the party, so it was worth it)
Insect Hunt for the Bat Disc (over 150 plastic bugs hid all over an acre of wooded backyard….I still find them when I go back there)
Glacier Fishing for a Polar Bear Disc (Swedish fish frozen into a disc of ice. They kids had to fish it out with plastic picks.)
The kids all had a great time, more importantly, My Girl had a fabulous day. She continually came up and hugged and thanked me throughout the party.
Hugged me. Got that dad? Hugged ME! The one who cut out those flipping’ hand-crafted discs and froze her fingers off making polar bear discs. ME!
I kid. Dad helped out tremendously, but he did keep asking why I didn’t just buy this stuff……
As usual, we wrote our wishes for the year on the balloons and launched them after the party. It has become a private affair. Kaelan leaves the room and writes her message and then brings it back in behind her back. It is her wish. Very secret.
I did get a little peek before launch. Something about remembering this day her whole life and always having a mom and dad to hug. Sniff.
We ended the day with obligatory birthday dance…….
Happy 8th to the most precious (future) animal scientist I know.
We love you!
No comments:
Post a Comment